- Eat a normal healthy diet the day before the blood test. Avoid heavy fatty meals / foods as this can have an effect on the Cholesterol and Triglycerides.
- Drink plenty of water the day before the blood test – try for 2 – 3 litres per day.
- Avoid all alcohol for 72 hours before the blood test as this will have an adverse effect on the liver function / enzymes.
- You will need to fast for 8 – 12 hours before the blood test. We normally suggest fasting from 10pm the night before.
- You can drink water only whilst fasting, this will help to keep your system well hydrated and it also makes it easier to collect blood for the blood test.
- Take your prescribed medications as normal. This will not affect the results of the blood test. Please advise us if you are a diabetic. See No 7.
- Please advise Optimum Medical Services if you are a diabetic. We will make your appointment the first appointment of the day. You may need to adjust your medication regime on the day of the blood test.
- Avoid heavy exercise or gym workouts for 48 hours before the blood test. Heavy exercise may cause elevated muscle enzymes which may be mistaken for a possible heart attack (myocardial infarct).